27.08.2010

The music scene in the America

So, one thing I've really been looking forward to is the concert scene over here. We've already seen a bunch of really good concerts, and they certainly are plentiful over here. Also concert tickets are really cheap, so we get to see a lot.



On the first weekend I had my wife over here, we went to Hardfest 2010 in the Los Angeles Historic State Park in downtown. A 1 day electronic festival featuring a pretty impressive lineup of US and UK electronic acts. And 1 headliner from Belgium. It was my first opportunity to see both Diplo, Major Lazer and Caspa, and all at the same time. And a lot of other cool acts on top of that. Great atmosphere, lots of people and great music too. Oh, and my first really annoying encounter with a pretty flawed US alcohol policy, but that's a topic for a later post of it's own - still need to research some more. Here is a little bit of the Diplo concert recorded on my iPhone:



Lots of kids dancing with too little clothes on - Also a topic to be covered in a later blog post. But here is a sneak peek:




We live in Marina del Rey close to Venice, and Venice is full of all kinds of live music all the time. We went to Danny's Deli on Windward Avenue on a weekday night, and had the pleasure of seeing a very traditional jazz orchestra. After the concert this lovely couple gave a duet.



Last weekend we went to the Sunset Junction Neighborhood Alliance. A 2 day festival where they close down a couple of streets in Silverlake and have 6 stages featuring a lot of different underground acts. We were only there on Sunday and only caugt a couple of acts. One of them was Meshell Ndegeocello. I didn't know her before, and her Indie/Funk style isn't exactly what I would put on my stereo at home, but in the setting sun with a lot of happy gay people it was a really good experience. I'm definitely going back to that festival next year, hopefuly for both days this time.



This coming weekend features the Sunset Strip Music Festival with the Smashing Pumpkins, Slash, Common and others. I hope I can convince my wife to go, but she claims she is too young for Smashing Pumpkins, which is sad, cause I think they're really good. Also Chemical Brothers are playing Sunday at the Hollywood Bowl, so plenty to do this weekend.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar