26.07.2010

How to make people feel welcome

One of the really pleasant things about America is how everywhere you go, you always feel very welcome. No matter what store you walk into you're greeted with a warm, heartfelt welcome and what seems to be a genuine desire to want to help you.

One of the first things I had to do over here was open up a bank account. I decided to go to Wells Fargo, since that place had been recommended by my new co-workers. Oh, and they were right across the street. So I walked in there on a Tuesday morning, bringing with me 2 things from Denmark: Banks are only open for a few hours a day on weekdays only, and if you come in without an appointment, you'll have to wait forever.

But this wasn't the case here. Banks are open 9 hours a day and on Saturdays too. And when I walked in, I was immediately greeted by a female employee who said welcome and how se could be of service to me this morning. And then she walked me right through everything and I was able to open a bank account with no problems whatsoever. I even had a chat with her manager about the Laudrup brothers and what the chances were of their sons to follow in their footsteps.

I realise a large part of this good service you get in stores, bars, restaurants and even supermarkets is based on a desire to convert you into a paying customer and often to get tips. But it feels very good to walk into a store and meet people who actually seem like they want to help you. I'm not used to that from back home.

1 kommentar:

  1. Yes - you really gotta love US...
    I do!

    Enjoy your time there!

    Oh, and I count on you that you buy a big cruiser soon ok!
    Get a slice of that american dream :-)

    SvarSlet